Local School Council
The Tubman Local School Council (LSC) is a publicly-elected council of parents, teachers, school staff, and community representatives that oversees the school budget, planning and improvements, and the hiring and evaluation of the school principal.*
The Chicago Board of Education has adopted a Code of Ethics to ensure board members, LSC members, employees, and contractors act in the highest ethical manner in order to preserve the public trust of residents and taxpayers.
Key Council Responsibilities
- School improvement planning: Developing and approving the school Continuous Improvement Work Plan (CIWP). This living document drives overall school improvement planning. It is developed and approved by the Local School Council for each Chicago Public School every two years. The 2022-23 school year is the third year of our current CIWP.
- School budget: Developing and approving the school’s budget and discretionary funds, including yearly approval of the Supplemental Grant of State Aid (SGSA) budget
- Principal selection: Principals are hired for a 4-year contract, at the end of which they are either rehired or replaced by the LSC
- Principal evaluation: Conducting performance evaluations of the Principal throughout the 4-year contract
In addition to these four primary responsibilities, our LSC is devoted to and involved in many other areas of school improvement. In order to better focus on these specific areas, the LSC forms committees. Anyone interested in serving on an LSC committee may join. You do not need to be elected to join a committee or attend meetings.
Current Council Members
- Kimberly Gibson, Principal
- Charisse Brooks, Non-Teacher Representative
- Cynthia Chernoff, Parent Representative
- Robert Daigneau, Community Representative
- Ileana Inserni, Chair, Parent Representative
- Nicholas Hall, FOIA, Teacher Representative
- Emily Hulbert, Teacher Representative
- Mae McGannon, Student Representative
- Sarah Ogeto, Vice-Chair, Parent Representative
- Laurie Viets, Parent Representative
- Cindy Wahtola, Secretary, Parent Representative
- Michael Weinstock, Parent Representative
The Local School Council of Harriet Tubman Elementary is looking to fill the following vacant roles:
- Community Representative (1)
For information about LSC elections, including eligibility, nomination forms, history, and training, please visit the CPS Local School Councils homepage.
The Tubman LSC will meet at 6:00 PM on the dates below for the 2022/23 school year.
Meetings are open to the public, and time is allotted for public comments.
Whether you are a parent, staff member, or local community member, we encourage you to attend, and welcome your input!
Please feel free to contact the Tubman LSC with questions and comments.
Communication and Engagement - Committee Chair Cindy Wahtola, LSC Parent Rep: This committee is looking for new and creative ways to make families feel connected to the school community. The school is great because of our families and we want to know more about them. Tubmanconnect@gmail.com .
- Upcoming meetings: Thursday, January 19 at 12:30pm
Zoom: 492 129 4748
Equity - Committee Chair Sarah Ogeto, LSC Parent Rep: To develop, guide, and advance initiatives that strengthen and build an equitable learning environment for all. email@example.com
- Upcoming meetings TBD
- Click here to access Equity Committee meetings
- Note that CPS employees may not be able to access the link with your CPS Gmail email
- Committee meeting agendas and minutes
TIES (Tubman Inclusive Education Supporters) - Committee Chair Laurie Viets, Parent Rep: A safe and joyful space for those who care for children with IEP’s and 504’s, their siblings and for those who want to support our efforts and educate themselves and their children on disability, inclusion and advocacy. firstname.lastname@example.org
Upcoming TIES meeting TBD
Budget - Committee Chair TBD
Principal Evaluation - Committee Chair TBD
Continous Improvement Work Plan (CIWP) - Committee Chair TBD
LGBTQIA - Committee Chair TBD
Professional Personnel Leadership Committee (PPLC)
- As an advisory committee, the PPLC develops and presents recommendations to the Principal and the Local School Council on matters relating to the educational program, including, but not limited to, curriculum, school improvement plan development and implementation, and school budgeting.
- 2022-23 PPLC Members:
- Myriah Brown-Rivera (Interventionist)
- Nicholas Hall (LSC, Specialist)
- Emily Hulbert (LSC, 1st)
- Ellen Lipo (7th L&L/I&S)
- Freeda Pirillis (PYP Coordinator)
- Rebecca Rosenberg (Case Manager, DL)
- Carly Wallace (1st)
- 2022-23 Meeting Dates - All Meetings 3PM:
- October 27 - Minutes
- December 22 - Minutes
- January 26 - Minutes
- February 16
- March 30
- April 27
- June 1
*Formed in the 1980s as part of Chicago public school reform, Local School Councils were designed to give greater oversight and control to individual schools and their communities, and are required by law.
Each Local School Council consists of 11 elected members (six parent representatives, two teacher representatives, two community representatives, and one non-teaching staff member) and the school principal.
- All eleven elected members of the LSC serve a two-year term; the school principal has a permanent seat on the council
- Principals are hired for a 4-year contract, at the end of which they are either rehired or replaced by the LSC
- Members of the school faculty and staff elect the teacher and non-teaching staff member representatives
- Community representatives must reside within the school attendance area, but not have a child at the school